Mold is a kind of fungus that grows in damp areas as well as areas that do not have good ventilation. Your basement is a good example of an area that does not get sufficient sunlight, and thus may be perpetually damp. The dampness and low temperature of this part of your house makes it a suitable place for mold to grow quickly. Even though not all kinds of mold are harmful, mildew and black mold are extremely dangerous to your health. Mold growth within the basement leads to dispersal of different substances like fragments, cells, spores, and so forth, which pollute the whole indoor environment. When inhaled, these substances can cause serious harm to the health of pets, children and even adults. It can also cause respiratory ailments such as asthma.
If you utilized organic materials like fabric, paper products or wood to build your basement, then there’s a high possibility of mold growth within your basement. Most molds are simple to detect because they have an extremely recognizable smell. Common signs of mold growth include, worn out paint, peeling of wallpaper, and decaying of wood. When you notice any of these signs, you should take steps to deal with the problem immediately to stop it from developing into a bigger problem.
Check to see if your basement walls are wet or not. Most times, the basement walls get wet as a result of water leakage, and this leakage can increase the possibility of mold growth on your basement floor and ceiling. If your floor is covered by a carpet, black mold might be growing in this area. If you keep furniture in your basement, then the surfaces might absorb moisture, thus making them an ideal place for mold to grow. The first step to Indianapolis mold remediation is to isolate your basement from the remainder of your house. This will help prevent the fungus from spreading to other parts of your home. Next, you should get proper gear such as goggles, respiratory mask, rubber gloves, etc., to protect yourself from the injurious effects of mold. If you find that your whole basement has been taken over by mold, it’s recommended that you engage the services of a mold remediation company to get rid of the fungus.