Termites are one of the most destructive types of pests that can enter your home. Once they enter, they can quickly begin to eat away at the wood materials in your home, causing massive and expensive destruction. Unfortunately, many people are not even aware they have termites until the damage has already been done. This is why it is crucial you know the signs to look for so you will know when to call for termite pest control.
- When winged termites shed their wings, they will often leave them behind in piles. You may see piles of wings on your windowsills. Termite wings resemble tiny fish scales. If you see these around your windows, you need to call a termite control company right away. You have most likely already experienced damage.
- Termites will often congregate in damp and dark areas. If you brush back mulch and leaves around your foundation and see any termites, this could be a sign they have invaded your home. It is always best to have your home inspected just in case.
- These pests will build mud tube nests on the side of your home. If you see mud tubes on your home, try breaking off a piece and monitoring it for a few days. If it is an active nest, the termites will go right to work repairing it. Tubes on your home most likely mean you have a termite problem.
- In the spring, termites will swarm together in great numbers. This is when they are most visible. If you see swarms in your yard this does not necessarily mean your home is infested, but it could be.
- If you notice soft areas in your wood or your wood structures have a hollow sound, do not hesitate to call for help. The sooner you call, the less damage your home will experience.
If you have noticed any of these signs, it is likely you have a termite problem. Call a pest control company and have them come out to inspect your home. If termites are found, they can help you be rid of them so your home is no longer in danger.